Ancich Waterfront Park Project
Ancich Waterfront Park Construction Update is now available for review. Read on...
Ancich Waterfront Park Construction Update 3-30-18 is now available for review. Read on...
On August 6, 2012, the City Council authorized the purchase of undeveloped waterfront properties to become a future public waterfront park. In 2013, the City undertook a visioning exercise in order to determine the uses of the park. The visioning culminated with the City Council passing Resolution 949-2013 on December 9, 2013. Resolution 949 (PDF) provided direction regarding the future use of Ancich Park. Uses include the commercial fishing fleet utilizing the Ancich netshed and onsite storage facility on the upland area for human powered watercraft. Additionally, the Resolution directed a dock/float systems be created for the commercial fishing fleet off of the Ancich pier and general public off of the Jerkovich Pier.
Project Plans and Specifications
Permits and Approvals
- Hearing Examiner Decision (PDF)
- Ancich Certificate of Appropriateness (PDF)
- DNR Auth Not Required Ltr
- DFW Hydraulic Project Approval
- DFW Minor Modification Approved
- DOE Approved Shoreline Dev. Permit
- COGH Ancich MDNS PL-SEPA-16-0014
- COGH Approved Building Permit Letter
- ACE NWS-2016-733 NWP and LOP Ltr
- ACE LOP Conditions Enclosure (2-24-03)
- ACE 2017 NWP 13 Enclosure 3-27-17
- ACE 2017 NWP 39 Enclosure 3-27-17
History of Site
Croatian immigrants Peter and Katie Ancich purchased the property from John Novak and built their over-water netshed in the 1920’s. Although the roof was replaced sometime in the late 1950’s, the modest architecture, method of construction, and siding materials exist largely in their original condition. A large 16-ft x 16-ft bait tank off of a tuna clipper was once located just above the netshed and used for tarring nets. Tar from Pacific Tar in Tacoma was brought in 50-gallon barrels and heated over a wood fire. The tank was removed in the early 1960’s after nylon replaced cotton web. There were two very large pear trees and a couple of apple trees that were cut down because space was needed to spread and dry the nets.
Peter and Katie had five children: Joe, John, Peter, Celia and Mary. Peter Sr. made his living as a commercial fisherman and his first fishing vessel (f/v) was the New World. The Invader and Voyager followed. Joe and Peter Jr. followed in their father’s footsteps and ran the Mary Joe. John ran company boats leased from the canneries. John’s son, John Jr. ran the Heritage - the last boat to be tied at the Ancich Brothers dock. John Jr. died tragically when the Heritage ran aground in 2001. John Sr. died shortly after and the estate sold to private developers in 2005.
The parcel located on the east-most boundary of the site was originally owned by Nick and Ella (Markovich) Castelan. The Castelan’s first home (torn down in the late 1990's) was constructed in the early 1900’s. Later, it became known as the “honeymoon cottage” because so many newlyweds rented it over the years. After the property was passed to their
children (through marriage), it became the Jerkovich parcel and was combined with the Ancich property when it sold in 2005. Today, a 10-foot easement gives the family access to their floats and commercial fishing vessels.